Holsteinische Schweiz Cycle Tour
The 200 km long circular tour through Schleswig-Holstein’s largest nature park enchants with an incomparable natural experience. Follow the signs through the moraine landscape shaped by the ice age, which reaches all the way to the Baltic Sea. Along the way are the largest lake and the highest mountain in the northernmost federal state. In addition to rolling hills, extensive forests and over 200 lakes, numerous manor houses, estates and castles lend this cycle route its special charm.
Numerous sights are waiting to be discovered by you. First get an overview on the “Bungsberg”, which at 168 metres is the highest mountain in Schleswig-Holstein. From there, you can overlook the whole landscape and plan your next destination.
For example, visiting the beautiful castles and gardens in Eutin and Plön. Or the romantic Blomenburg and the Ukleisee hunting lodge. Holstein Switzerland is famous for its estates and manor houses. Don’t miss a detour to Panker, Salzau, Kletkamp, Seedorf or Stocksee.
In addition, churches, mills and the Preetz Monastery await your visit. What would Schleswig-Holstein be without water: How about a boat trip on one of the numerous lakes, an evening stroll along a lakeside promenade or a relaxing day on the Baltic Sea beach?
Arrival and departure
Eutin, Preetz and Plön have a railway connection and make it possible to shorten the route. Trains run every half hour and are happy to accommodate bicycles. In addition, the railway station in Ascheberg allows you to join the tour in Dersau, 4 km away. Trains in Ascheberg stop every hour. Bicycle transport is available there.
Trail conditions and level of difficulty
- The trail quality is very good almost everywhere, only short sections (many trails run directly along the lakeshore) lead over gravel paths or undeveloped ground.
- In the hilly landscape of Holstein Switzerland, there are gentle inclines that add to the special charm of the landscape.
- The route is signposted throughout with kilometre details and a uniform logo.
- No separate boards for the route. Nature information boards or place information boards are placed at regular intervals.
- Due to small ascents and short unpaved sections, the cycle route has a normal degree of difficulty and is only conditionally recommended for narrow-tired racing bikes.
Rest and overnight stay
You will find rest areas and shelters along the entire route. Lockable bicycle boxes are available in the towns (e.g. Eutin). Sufficient overnight accommodation, youth hostels or campsites are available in the various towns and can be found here at www.bettundbike.de In the months of July-August, it is recommended to book in advance.