Spring in Schleswig-Holstein
When the days get longer and the sun’s rays warmer, the sky shines in clear blue and the birds begin to chirp, life returns to the holiday resorts in the true north – it’s spring time in Schleswig-Holstein.
The first rays of sunshine of this year make their way through the fluffy clouds that quickly pass by in the sky and warm your face. Early summer temperatures attract people from near and far to the beaches and promenades of our holiday resorts. The first round of hot drinks is enjoyed in the fresh air in the warming spring sun, while the birds make their rounds above the glittering sea. The colourful beach chairs now also adorn the beaches of the coastal resorts in rows again.
The new season starts with Easter, Whitsun and spring festivals, as well as other events on the North Sea and Baltic Sea and in the land between the region’s two coasts. But it is not only the holiday resorts that come to life and set their minds to preparing for the coming season – nature is also coming out of its winter sleep. Spring arrives in the country
In many places, the rapeseed blossoms in spring and bathes the landscape in a bright yellow sea. Whether it’s a walk along the many hiking trails or a bicycle tour – experiencing this natural spectacle is a must. Spring not only brings out the sun’s rays, but also rising water temperatures. The weather is perfect for long discovery tours through the idyllic landscapes away from the coasts. The small colourful details that nature has in store in spring enchant the soul and invite you to relax.
When the stately gardens of “Husumer Schlossgarten” are transformed into a sea of flowers every year, Husum celebrates in style for two days. Highlights include the crowning of the “Crocus Blossom Majesty” and an open Sunday.
April to May
The geese are loose on our Halligen! Whole flocks enjoy the lush green grass on the small islets in the North Sea in spring. The Halligen celebrate the “Ringelganstage” with many events centred around this beautiful animal.
The spa gardens in Mölln are transformed into a paradise for garden fans for the “Garden Romance” event. Hobby gardeners and professionals alike will find lots of inspiration, new trends and decoration ideas for their own gardens.
Given that the people of Schleswig-Holstein love this famous delicacy so much, they have dedicated a special day to it – “World Fish Sandwich Day”. On this day, the fish sandwich is celebrated on Schleswig-Holstein’s Baltic coast with a maritime supporting programme.
The surf festival on Fehmarn is a must for all water sports enthusiasts. A mixture of trade fair and sporting event, the latest products from the world of water sports can be tried out free-of-charge.
- The beach chair season is about to get under way in our holiday resorts! One by one, colourful beach chairs are brought from their winter hibernation spots and onto the beach sections. You will soon be able to enjoy the first rays of sunshine there!
- When the rapeseed is in bloom, the whole region glows in a bright yellow. You can admire this stunning natural spectacle while on a walk. The rapeseed blossom usually begins in May, and only lasts a few weeks.
- The first spring markets will open their doors in April. Why not stroll through the Holstein spring market at Gut Steinwehr, for example, and savour the selected products and other culinary delights.
- When the crocuses poke their colourful heads out of the ground in spring, the meadows and forests are transformed into a sea of colourful flowers. Potentially the most famous sea of flowers can be found in Husumer Schlosspark, where over 4 million purple crocuses grow.
- Anyone visiting the wonderful cities of Schleswig-Holstein should definitely stop by the shopping centres, small shopping arcades and boutique stores.
- As temperatures warm up, this presents the best conditions for the first cycle tour of the year. Take one of the 13 beautifully crafted long-distance cycle paths and enjoy the first rays of sunshine.
- Treat yourself to the first ice cream sundae of the season on our beach promenades, while basking in the glorious sunshine.
- Ball games, building sandcastles and dodging the waves – in stark contrast to the popular high season, the kilometre-long beaches in spring offer plenty of space for great family activities. How about flying a kite on the beach?
- Even in spring, you can really let your hair down on the coasts of Schleswig-Holstein. Enjoy the sound of the sea and the endless expanses during a walk along the Schleswig-Holstein cliffs. If you look at the ground, you may even be lucky enough to find fossils – such as sea urchins, belemnites or amber.
- The amusement park season also gets going in Sierksdorf in spring. Experience a day full of action and adventure at Hansa-Park and let the fresh air deliver its invigorating force on the roller coasters. Tip: The “Highlander” freefall tower offers a breath-taking view over the Bay of Lübeck and the Baltic Sea from a height of 120 metres.