Arrival and departure
For a relaxed arrival with rail & bike, there are shuttles from the train stations in Burg/Dithmarschen (15 km) and Kiel (10 km) to the start/destination of the NOK route at the locks in Brunsbüttel and Kiel-Holtenau.
Route conditions and degree of difficulty
- The route takes you along well-developed and signposted cycle routes from Brunsbüttel to Kiel. On the paved trails at the Kiel Canal, the official boats of the water and maritime administration have right of way. These sections are not suitable for bicycle trailers.
- The ground is flat throughout and has very few gradients.
- The NOK route is fully signposted and marked with the standardised NOK logo.
- At intervals of 10 to 12 kilometres, information boards indicate the major technical, cultural and natural attractions and the tourist infrastructure of the region.
- The route is easy to cycle and also suitable for beginners and children.
Rest stops and overnight accommodation
The NOK route provides rest stops, sheltered huts and service stations at different intervals along the canal and in the interior. Numerous restaurants, some with a view of the canal, line the route and invite you to take a breather. A list of the nicest restaurants and cafés can be found at www.nok-sh.de (in German).
For overnight stays, camp sites, hotels, guest houses, hay lofts and private accommodation are recommended.
You can find a list of cyclist accommodation and the classified Bed & Bike facilities along the NOK route at www.nok-sh.de (in German) and www.bettundbike.de.
You can also find cycling accommodation on the Radroutenplaner (in German).